Thursday, April 22, 2010

16 Months!

Madison turned 16 months old today! Which seems dangerously close to one and a half!  I know I say it a lot, but I can't believe how fast the time flies by! My baby is not a baby anymore! And she is full of her own opinions and will let you know what they are.

I had been wanting to get Madison a kid-sized table and chair set and had really liked one I had seen at Babies R Us, but had been waiting to have the play room finished so I would have a place for it to go.  However, yesterday only Babies R US was having a sale.  And the set I wanted was 25%off! It was destiny, I had to get it!  So after my mom got off work we drove down there and got it and when Madison went to bed I set to putting it together.  The second piece I pulled out of the box was cracked! I was SO upset.  The instructions in the box said if anything was damaged or missing to call and get a replacement and not take it back to the store.  Luckily it was one of the parts to a chair, so I was able to put together the table and one chair.  I still have to call tomorrow to get the replacement part, but she can use it fine with one chair for now.  Since the playroom isn't complete, it has a temporary spot in the kitchen.  When Madison got up this morning it's the first thing she saw and went right to it! She has since used it to color and have her afternoon snack.  I'm not sure we will use it for eating much, she made a mess and kept trying to get up.  I think I like her being confined in her high chair while she is eating!
Loving coloring at her new big girl table!

Snack time at her table.

Another "big girl" thing Madison likes now is drinking from a straw.  It started with her wanting to drink from my big tervis tumbler cup that has a straw, and now she likes the kid cups at restaurants. Tuesday night we went to Clancey's for dinner and she chugged down her milk with a straw.  I think she thinks it's so cool to be doing a big girl thing that she doesn't want to stop.  She would not give the straw up.  She had her entire milk gone before dinner came.  At one point I tried to hold it and she pushed her hands in there so that she was holding the straw and then she pushed my hands away entirely.  She still needs me to hold it down for her because she wants to tip the cup like she does with her sippy (she ended up wearing some milk too).

She LOVES drinking like a big girl from a straw!

With Mommy and Daddy at Clancey's.


About to get a milk bath from tipping up her cup!

A few other random facts...Madison is on a good schedule since switching to one nap.  She still goes to bed around 7:30pm and wakes around 8:00am, and then takes her one nap usually from 1-3pm. Sometimes it's a little longer and somedays it's a bit shorter.  If we have errands to run she is quite adaptable.  If we are one to move she can easily stay awake and be relatively cranky-free.  If we are at home and she is tired she will be cranky, but if we are on the move and busy she is usually pretty good.
Madison still has 16 teeth, from her one year molars forward. I don't think she is supposed to get anymore for a while.
Madison loves music.  We are in our second semester of music class and Madison is doing great with it.  She especially loves the hello song we sing each week.  When we do it, Mrs LouAnn plays her guitar and we rock slightly back and forth on the ground and tap our knees.  Madison will, at various random times, tap her knees to get me to sing this song with her. And when I do start singing it she smiles so big.  In class we sing hello to everyone in class, at home I sing hello to Madison and Mommy (and anyone else who may be around..Daddy or Grandma usually) and then we sing hello to whatever objects are around like her dolls, shoes, books, you name it.  Madison will point to things we have to say hello to.  And when I finish the song she asks for it again and again!
Madison likes attention from strangers.  When we are out she likes to flirt with people, especially the old people.  She will look at them and smile until they pay attention to her.  And when we leave a restaurant if she is walking she will practically stop at every table and look at the people until they look at her.  She also loves to wave at people, again whether or not they are even looking at her. Unless I ask her to wave bye bye then she plays shy and won't wave until we are a good distance away.  She likes to wave to things too.  When we leave somewhere or before nap/bed she waves good bye to anything that is around.  And she loves to wave at my pee in the toilet as I flush it!
She still likes to give big open mouthed kisses.  And a couple times this week I have seen her lick as she goes in for the kiss.  She has done it to Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle Chris! Ha!
Her hugs are getting much better too.  The last couple of days she has given me some nice long strong hugs.  I love it!

2 comments:

Hent said...

great post. she is adorable. im excited to see what other "big girl" things she starts to do.

Witenkling Mommy said...

I bet she loves that table and chairs! She is such a 'big girl' and I bet she loves every minute of doing big girl things. at least she wants her own straw and doesn't insist on having yours. That would be my girls at this age.