Saturday, October 16, 2010

Go Away, Mommy!

That's what Madison said to me last night while I was giving her a bath.  I quickly told her she is not to speak to Mommy like that and then she told me to 'go away' again! I tried to play it cool and simply tell her she doesn't talk to me like that and she needs to be nice to Mommy, but I was breaking inside. I couldn't believe she had told me to go away! She's been having a hard time with me working lately, and I'm not sure if that's where this comment stemmed from or if it was because I had told her to stop splashing in the bathtub.  A couple of weeks ago as I was leaving for work Madison got really upset.  She grabbed a purse and said "I go work!" I told her she couldn't go with me, and as she and Scott walked me outside, she said "My car. I go work." Then as I was pulling out she was crying and screaming "Mommy! Mommy!" It made my eyes tear up.  After my two nights of work that week she was very stand-offish with me and more clingy to Daddy.  Since then she has seemed to be 'mad' at me every time after I work, for about a day or so.  In fact Thursday morning when she woke up I went in her room to get her and she said "No! Daddy!" When I told her he was sleeping it was just mommy, she screamed.  I had to picked her up from her crib and then she pushed me away and ran off screaming for Daddy! It's been quite frustrating and heartbreaking for me, so when she came and snuggled up with me on the couch Thursday night (after the go away incident) it melted my heart! Hopefully this phase will end soon because I don't know how much more of it my heart can take!

4 comments:

Desi said...

If it makes you feel any better, this has happened to me before...she usually does it when I don't let her do something. Then she has to sit on the "rug"...not her favorite spot. :)

Witenkling Mommy said...

Its the age. Try heard to not take it personally. She is exerting power in the only way she knows how. Lorelai went through a similar phase with Jon. She got very made at him for going to work and when he came home, she would run away (to me). She got over it. Jon just tried his best to not show her how it was making him feel. And I didn't perpetuate it by 'rescuing' her from daddy.
Try not to let it bother you (in her presence). I know its hard.

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Aw! That must have been so hard...I cannot imagine! Stay strong, she still loves you!

Hent said...

So sad! I'm not looking forward to experiencing that. Sheesh. She absolutely still loves you - you are an awesome mommy.