Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Growing Madison

It's hard to believe that Madison has technically been with me for almost a year! I knew within a week after conception that I was pregnant. It was almost instantly that I became nauseous! And it was also in the first week that I knew it would be a girl, every time I slept I had baby dreams and it was always a baby girl!

As my pregnancy continued, I had some troubles. I was nauseous constantly and vomited frequently, I had dizzy spells and a racing heartbeat. And then at 6 and a half weeks I experienced some spotting. I immediately broke into tears and ran to Scott, I was sure I had lost the baby! Luckily when I went to see my OB, everything was fine and we heard her heart beating for the first time! It was amazing.


My pregnancy progressed along and finally at 16 weeks the nausea subsided. And at 15 weeks we had our first 3D ultrasound confirming my suspicion that it was indeed a girl! I couldn't have been happier!


Then at my 20 week ultrasound, they found bilateral choroid plexus cysts in Madison's brain. At first I wasn't too concerned, babies in the NICU have them all the time. But when I researched it more online, I discovered that the cysts are indeed harmless, but that they can be associated with Trisomy 18 which is fatal. FATAL! Yea, I freaked out! So, I was sent to a specialist called a perinatologist. There I had a more thorough ultrasound done where they look for traits of trisomy. All the prayers from family must have helped because everything looked fine! However one small cyst remained, so I had to return again at 27 weeks. The next ultrasound showed the cysts were both completely gone. So I thought I wouldn't have to come back. But she was measuring big, so I would have to come back. It turned out I had to go back two more times and then I had to have weekly nonstress tests done.
At 28 weeks I had another big scare! I had been having spells where I would get dizzy, turn pale, get sweaty and feel nauseous. One night on my way to work, I had a really bad one. As I was driving I got the feeling I was about to pass out, so I quickly pulled over. I remember saying I am going to pass out and feeling so scared to be passed out alone on the side of the road. Everything started to go black and then I got sick all over my new car! The next day I went in to see my OB and he thought it would be best if I saw a cardiologist. So, off to the cardiologist I went. I had to have an EKG and ECHO. Thankfully both tests showed everything was fine.
Due to Madison measuring large for her gestation, my OB decided to induce me a little early. So, it was set that I would come into the hospital on the evening of Sunday December 21, 2008 to start the process.

1 comment:

Witenkling Mommy said...

Ooh,I love all the background info into pregnancy- another good one for posterity! Love the title, too, like she's a little plant :)