My induction was started on Sunday December 21, 2008. I was admitted to Health Park and was given a medication to help soften my cervix. This medication actually put me into labor in the middle of the night. I woke up at 2:30 am with contractions. At around 6 am I was started in Pitocin to help get my contractions more regular. My progress was very slow, but I was in a lot of pain. When Dr. Stubbs came to examine me later that morning, I was only dialated 1 cm, but he said I could get my epidural. The first attempt was in the wrong place. It made me very light headed and I began shaking uncontrollably. The nurse anesthetist said it had gone into a blood vessel. So it had to be removed and tried again. The second time worked great and the relief was immediate! As the day went on it was evident that Madison was way too comfortable in my tummy and sh
e did not want to come down. After 4 or 5 hours, my epidural was wearing off. They tried to re-dose me, but it wasn't working. Madison was not moving and I was in really bad pain. Dr. Stubbs began talking of a c-section. But I wanted to keep trying. But at 17 hours of labor I could take it no more and neither could Madison. My pain was horrible, I was getting a fever and was vomiting, not to mention Madison's heart rate was getting too high. Madison would not decend into the birth canal. After all that time I had only dialted 5-6cm and she was at a negative 2 station. My worst fear was coming true, I would have to have a c-section. I was in tears! I had worked so hard all day for nothing, and I was terrified to have surgery. But I knew it was what was best at that point. So, I was rolled to the OR throwing up the entire time there. Once in the OR I got my spinal block which scared me. With it I couldn't feel or move anything but my fingers. I felt like I couldn't breath. Scott was there with me, which made me feel a little bit better. Within minutes Madison was safely out and I caught my first glimpse of my daughter. Two of my co-workers from the NICU took her into the adjoining room to stabilize her. Madison had swallowed a lot of fluid and there was still some left in her lungs after they had worked on her for about 30 minutes. They came and let me see her, but said they had to take her to the NICU. I was sad, but I was so out of it from eve
rything that had just happened that I didn't have a chance to react to the news.
I was taken to OB recovery, where my mom, Aunt and cousin were able to come and visit me also. Shortly after, one of my co-workers walked in the room with my baby girl and I asked if I got to keep her with me. Her breathing had improved and she was doing much better. I guess she just wanted to check out my work and meet my friends!
1 comment:
Good thing you wrote this down. You'll be so happy to have a record of the big day when Madison is all grown up.
Post a Comment